Angus Graham Brown

Rank Captain
Service No Unknown
Date of Death 01/09/1918
Age 30
Regiment/Service London Regiment 20th Battalion (Blackheath and Woolwich)
Cemetery Fins New British Cemetery, Sorel-le-Grand, France. Fins is a village on the road between Cambrai and Peronne. His name is alos listed on the Mill Hill Memorial, located at The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, north London.


Angus was born on 2nd March 1888 at 181 Leighton Road, Kentish Town, London. His parents were Donald Carmichael (1844–1910), a horticulturist, and Sophia Alice Brown, nee Clark, (b.1849), who were married at All Saints Edmonton on 1st October 1871. Angus had six older siblings: Archibald Douglas (1873–1922), Ernest (1876–1951), Ethel Brown (b.1878), Dugald (1882–1964), Donald Mannie (b.1885) and Margaret Alice (b.1886).

On 2nd April 1894, Angus was admitted, aged 6, to Yerbury Road School, Islington. On 19th February 1896, he transferred to Burghley Road School, Camden. On 11th March 1900, he was baptised, aged 12, at All Saints Tufnell Park. His father’s occupation is listed in the baptism register as ‘gardener’. He completed his secondary education at Stanley Boys' Central School, Camden.

At the time of the 1901 Census, Angus was living in Tufnell Park with his parents and two of his siblings, Donald and Margaret. At the time of the 1911 census, he was living with his widowed mother and two siblings at 3 Lewis Gardens, East Finchley He was employed as a clerk engineer (ventilating engineer), Dugald and Margaret were both teachers for the London County Council. On 16th August 1913, Augus married Violet Clara Whicher (1883-1974) at St Paul’s Finchley.

His enlistment papers indicate that he had prior military service as a Lance Corporal with the Middlesex Regiment, 7th Battalion  (London Scottish), from 25th September 1907 to 4th April 1913. His current occupation was ‘Engineer’s Estimating Clerk’. On 24th March 1916, the Revd Samuel Mayall, Vicar of St Paul’s, gave Angus a character reference saying he had known him for five years. 

Angus was based in the UK from 3rd January 1916 to 18th December 1916.  In a letter dated 25th May 1916, sent from Hazeley Down Camp, Winchester, the Lieutenant Colonel of the 20th (Reserve) Battalion, London Regiment recommended that Private Brown be given a commission, on probation, after passing out of the Cadet Battalion. On 19th December 1916 he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant (on probation) with the London Regiment.

On 5th April 1917, Angus left his unit on the Western Front, embarking eleven days later on the Hospital Ship Warilda Adelaide from Le Havre and arriving at Southampton the next day. He was given a ‘blighty ticket’ due to ‘drop wrist, right arm’.

A medical board report of 21st May 1917 from the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, Hampshire, stated that, ‘he had recovered from a paralysis of the right muscular spinal nerve which he contracted in the trenches at Boicy St Marti. The board is of the opinion that no injury caused the paralysis. The officer must have fallen asleep on the arm and produced a pressure paralysis. On admission there was complete wrist drop which has disappeared under massage … electrical treatment. The board recommend the officer for three weeks leave.’

Records indicate that Angus was injured in a football game on Saturday 26th January 1918. In a note written by himself, Angus said that another officer’s knee came into his back. A Report on Accidental or Self-inflicted Injuries Form, dated the following day, states, “Contusion of muscles of spine (left) slight. This officer was playing football at the 3rd Army school at Auxi-le Chateau and was charged accidentally by another officer in the back. Neither he nor another person were to blame”.

Angus was killed in action during the second Battle of Bapaume which took place between 31st August and 3rd September 1918.

His estate was valued at £359 15s 2d, which he left to his wife. At the time of his death, she was living at 5, Goodwyn Avenue, Hale, Mill Hill, London.