JESSE John Oulet

Rank Private
Service No G/8218
Date of Death 09/07/1916
Age 21
Regiment/Service The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) 3rd Battalion
Cemetery Hendon Cemetery and Crematorium


Jesse John Oulet was born on 8th March 1895 and baptised at St Philip the Apostle, Camberwell on 5th May of that year, at which time the family were living at 82 Avondale Square, London SE1. His parents were Jesse James Oulet (1865-1927), an accountant, and Jane Isabella Oulet. He had four siblings; Jeanie May (b.1894), Edwin (1896-1973), Hilda (b.1897-1982) and one who died in childhood.

Between 1897 and 1900, the family lived at 16 Cressida Road, Upper Holloway, N19. Jesse was admitted as a pupil at the nearby Duncombe Road School on 9th June 1898. In April 1901 the family resided at 13 Ashmount Road, N19. Later, Jessie was a pupil at Finchley County School. The school started as Finchley Higher Elementary School but become Finchley County School in 1910. It was located on the High Road near the junction with Squires Lane. The school was closed in 1971. Frank Hadland, whose name is listed on the St Paul’s Finchley War Memorial, was also a pupil of the school. Both of their names are listed on the war memorial stone that is located on the site of where the school was situated.  

Jesse’s sister, Jeanie, was confirmed, in St Luke’s Finchley, by the Bishop of Islington on 28th March 1909. This suggests that sometime between the 1901 Census and this event, the family had moved to Finchley.  

At the time of the 1911 census, his father was an accountant with the International Investment Trust Ltd and his eldest sister was a domestic economic student. The family were living at 111, Station Road, Finchley and 16 year-old Jesse was employed as an insurance clerk with the Australian Mutual Provident Society. It was also in 1911, on 9th April, that Jesse was confirmed by the Bishop of London in St Luke’s Finchley. Interestingly, someone has written in the margin of the confirmation register ‘died of fever in 1916’.

Jesse enlisted on 22nd January 1916 at the Mansion House in the City of London. He never served in a theatre of war as he died of a fever at Fulham Infirmary Hospital, before his unit was deployed. His estate was worth £111 1s 7d which he left to his father, who was living at 188 Nether Street, Finchley. He died in a hotel in Ontario, Canada in April 1927.

The St Luke’s Finchley monthly magazine of August 1916, records that Jesse was a member of the church’s choir and ‘the eldest son of a gentleman of the Choir. He attested last autumn but was rejected because of his eyesight. When called up later to report himself he carefully kept his certificate of rejection out of sight and so managed to get in, It was not long, however, before he had a serious illness, and after a hard fight against it for over three months, he eventually succumbed’.