Maxwell Halford Carne

Rank Second Lieutenant
Service No Unknown
Date of Death 23/12/1916
Age 26
Regiment/Service Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 2nd Battalion
Cemetery Pieta Military Cemetery, 2 kilometers south-west of Valetta, Malta.

Maxwell Halford Carne was born on 14th March 1889 in Finchley, and baptised on 30thJanuary 1890 at St-Mary-at Finchley. His father Henry (1854-1918), Principal of the Issue Department at the Bank of England, had married Emma Sherwood in 1875, and was left a widower after a few years, with three children, Henry (b.1877), William (b.1878) and Emma (b.1880). These three children did not live with their father after his remarriage, so whether Maxwell knew his half-siblings or not is unknown.

Henry had five children by his second wife Agnes, nee Halford (1860-1946), of which Maxwell was the second eldest. Gladys (b.1888), Maxwell, Harry (b.1892), Phyllis (b.1893) and Janet (1895-1981) were raised in Lansdowne Road, Finchley. Maxwell was educated at Christ’s College, Finchley, from 1901 to 1904 and the City of London School. Whilst his brother Harry was to follow his father into the Bank of England, Maxwell pursued a different career as a maker of artificial eyes.

In 1913, Maxwell travelled to Nelson, British Columbia, Canada, where he was employed on the Welland Fruit Ranch. He returned to England on the outbreak of war and volunteered for foreign service with the Artists Rifles in September 1914. He was deployed to the continent on 22nd January 1915 and made a 2nd Lieutenant in July 1915. In November 1916 he moved to Salonika and was promoted to temporary Captain, relinquishing his command when a replacement arrived from London. He was wounded on 7th December 1916 while leading an attack at Serres, a city in Macedonia, Greece and died in Tigue Hospital, Malta, two weeks later.

Tigue Barracks were converted into a surgical hospital and opened on 14th June 1915 with 600 beds with the officers' mess being converted to house an additional 40 beds for officers. In September 1916 marquees were erected on the parade ground to house another 400 beds.