Stanley Sothcott

Rank Private
Service No M2/079348
Date of Death 26/12/1918
Age 24
Service/Regiment Royal Army Service Corps
Cemetery East Finchley Cemetery and St Marylebone Crematorium


Stanley was born in 1894 in Wandsworth, South London, to Thomas Stanley Sothcott (b.1861), a motor painter, and his wife Elizabeth (b.1858), who were both from the Isle of Wight. He had five siblings: Edward Roland Thomas (1884-1968), John (b.1888), Florence (b.1891), Victor (b.1902) and another whose name is unknown and doesn’t appear in either the 1901 or 1911 Censuses, though the 1911 Census states that one child has died.

At the time of the 1901 Census, the family were living at 25, Bramford Road, Wandsworth. The 1911 Census indicates that Stanley, now aged 17, was living with his parents, who had been married for 27 years, and younger brother, Victor, at 23 Dagnan Road, Balham. Stanley’s occupation is list carpenter’s mate.

Stanley’s sister, Florence (aged 26) married Arthur Pain (aged 34) in St Luke’s Finchley on 15th October 1917. She gives her address as 51, Station Road, Finchley. The 1919 Electoral Register lists her parents as residing at this address, so this would suggest that sometime between 1911 and 1917 Thomas and Elizabeth moved to Finchley.

Stanley was awarded the 1914-15 Star in recognition of this service during 1914 and 1915, most likely in France, Egypt or Gallipoli. His medal index card reveals that he disembarked on 30th April 1915 which is probably the date he arrived from the UK in a theatre of war. It then states that he was discharged on 29th June 1916 according to King’s Regulations Paragraph 392 (16) which means he was no longer physically fit for war.

Stanley served in the Royal Army Service Corps, which was responsible for land, coastal and lake transport, air despatch, barracks administration, the Army Fire Service, staffing headquarters' units, supply of food, water, fuel and domestic materials such as clothing, furniture and stationery and the supply of technical and military equipment. It became a "Forming Corps" of the Royal Logistic Corps.

As he is buried locally, it is almost certain that he died in Finchley, perhaps at home and possibly, partly as a result of his war wounds, which had previously led to his discharge from the military. His cause of death was tuberculosis but it may be that influenza was also a contributory factor as he died on Boxing Day 1918, just six weeks after the war ended, at which time the country was in the grip of an flu epidemic.