William Alexander Macintosh

Rank Second Lieutenant
Service No Unknown
Date of Death 14/11/1916
Age 29
Regiment/Service Australian Infantry, Australian Imperial Force 26th Battalion
Memorial Villers-Bretonneux Memorial. The Memorial is 16 kms east of Amiens in the Somme region of France. It is the Australian National Memorial erected to commemorate all Australian soldiers who fought in France and Belgium during the 1st World War, to their dead, especially those 10,885 who were killed and have no known grave. The Memorial was unveiled by King George VI on 22nd July 1938.

William was born to John (c 1850-1899) and Mary Ann (nee Hay) MacIntosh on 4th October 1887 in Queensland, Australia. He was the eldest of four children. His siblings were: Eric Douglas (b. 1888), Mary Catherine (b. 1890) and Hugh Hay (b. 1891). He attended a Presbyterian Church there and was married to Annie Jane (nee Cornwall), who in January 1916 was living at Axham, Darling Point, Sydney, New South Wales. He was a twenty seven year old solicitor in Barcaldine, Queensland, when he enlisted in Brisbane in the AIF on 1st July 1915.

Appointed a Second Lieutenant at the end of October 1915, his unit embarked from Brisbane on 3rd January 1916 on HM Australian Transport A55 Kyarra as part of the reinforcements for the 26th Batallion. He landed in Etaples, France, on 5th April, and joined his battalion in mid-May. On 17th July he was admitted to the 16th General Hospital at Le Treport with mumps. After recovering, William spent some time at the 2nd Division base and at the headquarters of the 1st ANZAC Corps before returning to his unit on 16th September 1916.

On 14th November 1916, William was killed in action near Dernancourt, while leading a fatigue party between Cobham and Carlton Trenches. The location of his burial was lost. His connection to Finchley is unknown.

After the war, an appeal in Australia raised £22,700 of which £12,500 came from Victoria school children, with the request that the majority of funds be used to build a new school in Villers-Bretonneux. The boys' school opened in May 1927 and contains an inscription stating that the school was the gift of Victoria school children, twelve hundred of whose fathers are buried in the Villers-Bretonneux cemetery, with the names of many more recorded on the memorial.